Home » Blog
■ xplorer² v5.1 released, codename Presbyopia
xplorer² has been out for almost 20 years, and we are no longer the sharp-eyed spotty yoof we were back then. In the interest of all mature/elderly users out there, all xplorer² dialogs get a slightly larger font
that makes the difference, especially in higher resolution displays. The same goes for the internal viewer editor² and the advanced settings editor.
Other improvements of note include: (see the changelog for the full list of changes)
- Convert groups to folders.
Regular or custom groups (even fuzzy grouping) in scrap container collections can be converted into actual folders using Tools > Extract groups menu command. See the pic above for what this means, converting the available date groups in actual folders. You can either copy or move the original files into these subfolders.
This command can also organize items by date, whether you have groups or not. This is useful e.g. if you have a truckload of photos in a scrap and you want to automatically move them in subfolders according to their modification date (or date taken) — per year or per year/month
- Duplicates checker improvements. Several ideas from i-DeClone found their way to xplorer² to improve the quality of the duplicate files detected. You can ignore small artificial date differences (NTFS/FAT32), ignore small files that don't take up much space, compare huge files by content statistically (much faster) etc.
- Mass rename improvements. Mass rename <F2> dialog will automatically generate a preview of the renaming to occur every few seconds, so you don't have to click on preview button manually. Also mass rename preserves the original selection, despite files changing their names, so you can apply successive rename operations on the same set of files. For example you can first add a numeric counter, then replace part of the original filename, then change the capitalization and so on.
- Hard and symbolic links. Place a file with hard links in a scrap or in the miniscrap pane and press <Ctrl+L> (Find target menu), and all its links will appear next to it. For symbolic links, xplorer² uses an elevated copy of itself to sidestep the unwarranted UAC limitations on this useful filesystem feature — so you don't have to run it elevated all the time.
- Robust copy improvements. <F5> command is careful with offline (on-demand) cloud files, and will ask you about them before initiating a remote download (there's a Yes to all option if this gets annoying). For the rare cases when a file copy gets stuck for good, a watchdog will be alerted and let you skip the problematic file or cancel the operation altogether.
Version 5.1 is a free upgrade for people that already own v5.x licenses. Customers with v4.x keys can upgrade to the latest version with a discount
Please use Help > Check for updates menu command or the equivalent from ribbon's File leftmost tab to get the new version. If you don't have xplorer² installed try the download page for your free trial.
Post a comment on this topic »