All recent posts...
- Search online for file information
A google script to search for a file on the internet simply by right clicking on it
- That registry cleaner ate my bookmarks
Registry cleaners and system optimizers are good for nothing at best and often end up damaging program settings
- Import only the newest pictures from your digital camera
If you have tons of pics and videos you need an easy way to import the newest ones you shoot
- Customer support blues [rant]
Whatever happened to manners? I am trying to help you after all!
- PDF preview, problems and solutions
Workarounds for shell integration problems introduced by the latest Adobe Reader X (v.10) update
- Cracking software protection for dummies [programming]
Your software will be cracked by the professionals but don't let the amateur hackers get the best of your licensing
- xplorer˛ v2.0 out now
New docking-floating panes, native preview for windows vista/7 and many functional and performance improvements
- How to start xplorer˛ at fixed folders?
The correct answer is using command line arguments, not layouts!
- File date anecdotes
What happens to file creation date if you delete and recreate a file? Is time travel possible?
- NTFS sparse files: space oddity
Create a huge file that only takes up minimal disk space; impossible? not with NTFS sparse files!
- unusual folder paths
If you think you know all there is about folder paths you may be surprised by the oddities lurking in windows shell
- ATL/WTL docking windows (C++ source code) [programming]
A complete docking framework for ATL/WTL programming, with minimal interactions and code cross dependencies
- get creative with folder bookmarks
Organize your folder bookmarks (favorites) in hierarchies and categories using real folders
- The truth about vista/7 symbolic links
In a nutshell —
they are rubbish! Keep using folder junctions... (ok they are allright)
- stop press: xplorer˛ is #1 file manager in the USA
We revisit the file manager top 15 list in terms of website popularity to discover the movers and shakers
- Find text in WordPerfect, OpenOffice, PDF and MS Office Documents
Free desktop search plugins that enable previewing and searching in WPD, ODT, PDF, DOC files
- Where do software pirates come from?
Using real life software piracy data we analyze which countries in the world use pirated versions of xplorer˛
- Open folders both in windows explorer and xplorer˛
Using this registry hack you can open your folders both normally and with xplorer˛ through the right-click context menu
- Crash information from reliability monitor
To get a program's crash address and module information in windows 7 you need to dive into the reliability monitor
- Discover and remove duplicate MP3 files
Free up hard disk storage wasted on files stored many times over and over
- Anti-spam PHP contact form [programming]
Your website's email contact form may fall victim to spammers. PHP to the rescue!
- SOS by xplorer˛ sales
The once thriving zabkat business is feeling the strain of the global economical crisis (?)
- MP3 selection total play time
Calculate total play time (MM:SS) of a MP3 song selection using xplorer˛ and MS Excel
- more space for native preview mode
Turn off office and PDF plugin toolbars to see a bigger document preview area
- preview office 2007 documents in xplorer˛
If you want your office 2007 and later files (word, excel) to preview inside xplorer˛ then you need this patch from MS
- portable file associations
Using portable xplorer˛ user commands you can have all your favorite tools in a USB stick and carry them with you
- zabkat version 2.0
The heiress of zabkat, Vanessa-Irene, is born and says hello to the world
- Uncrackable software keygen using OpenSSL [programming]
Fed up with pirates keygenning your software? Here's source code for uncrackable registration keys.
- Add languages to Sony W995 phone
We hack into a sony W995 mobile (cell) phone (standard red certificate) to teach it some greek language
- Manage files with tags (aka comments, notes)
xplorer˛ lets you add comments and notes to any file type, then use them for searching and filtering
- eliminate question marks in filenames
Question marks in filenames are eliminated by setting the correct language for non-unicode programs
- SEO rank checker tool
A free tool that gets the position of your website in google, bing and yahoo for certain search keywords
- editor˛ v2.9.1 released
The latest editor˛ version supports HTML tag matching so you can navigate complex HTML source code like a pro!
- windows script command line arguments
Add flexibility to your WSH scripts with command line arguments
- To 64 bit or not to bit?
64 bit windows: what's in it for the regular user except for compatibility troubles? Not much!
- Greece rescue plan [political opinion]
Greece is in dire straits but all is not lost. This is an article in greek adressed mainly to greeks all over the world
- Authors bite rapidshare
Fight back at illegal downloads of your intellectual property with a meta-search tool for DMCA complaints
- Windows developer desktop virtualization checklist
A-Z guide for multi-platform application development and testing across most windows versions
- Advanced search with windows scripts
Beginner techniques with windows scripting host: how to search for files under a root folder
- UAC survival guide
Windows vista/7 UAC is a mixed blessing, but with a few tricks you can work around access permission problems in special folders, like a true administrator
- Old style column handlers revived in latest xplorer˛ beta
We all missed the custom shell columns from vista/W7 explorer but now they are back for browsing and searching
- A simple LZW compression C++ class [programming]
Add decent compression/expansion functionality to your program with a few dozen lines of code: LZW with variable bit length encoding
- Safer downloads with virustotal.com
There are many gem programs to download but how do you tell apart the good from the rogues, viruses and malware?
- A christmas gift: free image uploader
A tool that simplifies uploading images from your computer to online services like imageshack or tinypic
- Transfer settings from xplorer˛ lite to professional version
Download a tool to automatically transfer your lite version settings (bookmarks etc) to your new xplorer˛ professional
- Postcard from ESWC 2009 Berlin
The xplorer˛ team was recently in Berlin for the annual European ShareWare Conference and brought back some pictures
- Extreme xplorer˛ customization
Add any xplorer˛ menu command on a toolbar for easy access using menuhack, an autoIT script
- MP3 information metadata in xplorer˛
xplorer˛ in conjunction with audioshell can show more details for your music files than you'd care to know about!
- xplorer˛ v1.8 BETA version
After a solid couple of months' effort, the latest xplorer˛ (BETA) packs many small and big improvements like robust deletion and tab drag-drop
- Digital photography picture sharing [beginners]
Share pictures with your friends and family using file management basics - Send To menu and rapidshare
- New xplorer˛ in the horizon
I have started work on the latest xplorer˛ and you get the chance to participate as a volunteer beta tester
- Game Over for Nikos [OT]
My last few days as a free man, next week I'm getting married!
- Send files to the knacker's yard
Use file shredding to permanently and securely destroy sensitive information on your computer
- Where did my hard disk space go?
xplorer˛ can show the total size of folders in the Size column (detailed view mode) so you can tell the space taken by your subfolders at a glance.
- File and folder sharing and access permissions
We explore the baffling world of windows file security and access permissions and see how we get things done to allow or limit access to our documents
- DOS and NTFS file attributes
Files and folders on your hard disk have attributes (hidden, encrypted, system, compressed etc) that reflect and/or control how the filesystem handles them
- Transfer large files by splitting and merging
Media files and installers always outgrow the available portable storage space so a good file splitter and merger comes in handy for huge file transfers
- Divide and conquer bad shell extensions
Badly written context menu handlers and other shell extensions can destabilize your system. We use a fast search method to locate and remove them
- File copy control: wildcards and filters
xplorer˛ robust copy allows you use a filter so that only files that match some attributes are copied
- Folder paths at the limit
When you use long descriptive folder names you may reach the windows filesystem path limit of 260 characters
- xplorer˛ for Windows 7
Windows 7 is not officially released yet but we put its file explorer head to head with xplorer˛
- The right kind of network cable
A revealing tale of PC home networks, netbooks without CDROM drives, dual booting windows 7/XP and crossover cables
- Protect your sensitive data with folder encryption
When disaster strikes and you lose your laptop or netbook you will be glad you took the time to encrypt your personal documents.
- Recover deleted files and folders
When you accidentally delete important files permanently you may still undelete and rescue them if you act quickly
- xplorer˛ user interface translations
xplorer˛ is translated in 18 languages thanks to volunteers, you may prefer to use it in your mother tongue
- Put autorefresh on hold
Learn how to hold autorefreshes in large and fast changing folders — with the minimum interruption to your easter festivities!
- Mass rename files with a text editor!
In difficult rename situations putting the filenames in a script and using a text editor makes your life easier
- Remote debugging with minudumps and windbg [programming]
How to use user crash reports to improve your program’s reliability; a shareware author's view
- Select and filter files with wildcard categories
How to extend and edit the custom filename categories used for wildcard selection and filtering
- Repeat last shell context menu command
Few shell context menu commands have keyboard shortcuts, but xplorer˛ <ctrl+alt+F10> will save you a lot of clicking
- Save YouTube FLV video without downloader software - Masterclass
Part II of the tutorial covers difficult situations where the browser has locked the FLV, but we can still copy it with hobocopy and xplorer˛
- Introduction to windows scripting host
Forget MSDOS batch files; explore and manage your files and folders with object oriented scripts
- xplorer˛ search toolbar addon for IE and FF
xplorer˛ addon for internet search is not yet another toolbar. Check your email, search for text in pages, even check your local weather
- CD Ripper and audio codec shootout
There are tons of rippers and audio formats but which is best for digital media? We compare a few free CD rippers to find out
- Open all folders with xplorer˛
How to make xplorer˛ the default application for your filesystem folders replacing windows explorer altogether
- Show simple file dates
Millisecond precision for file dates is hardly ever useful. Switch to friendly file dates with xplorer˛
- Rage against the machine [rant]
Beta software is one thing but beta hardware? Surely the manufacturers should be hit with shoes
- Preview FLV in xplorer˛
WMP does not play Flash Video out of the box, but there's a simple way to change this with a free codec
- Download FLV video from YouTube
YouTube and similar online video services don't like to give away their content, but xplorer˛ will clinch the deal!
- xplorer˛ v1.72 released
The latest xplorer˛ upgrade brings 64 bit windows compatibility and a few other tweaks, improvements & bugfixes
- Time is money
What's the common thread between recent documents and the worldwide financial turmoil? Read on to find out!
- 64 bit programming with Visual Studio 6 [programming]
All you need to know to port your old C++/ATL3 application to 64 bit windows using Visual Studio 6
- Redirect space-consuming folders with junctions
Free space in your system partition using folder junctions to relocate large folders like Outlook emails
- It's all greek to me!
Saving text in non-english languages can be a pain; that's why we have codepages to specify the locale
- Search in Alternate Data Streams
xplorer˛ can search in files ADS for fun and for practical malware detection
- File overwrite control: no to all
A simple trick to add 'No to All' overwrite option for your complex file transfers.
- NTFS-friendly text file editing [programming]
Advanced NTFS features like ADS and hard links are in danger from poor file save practices. Patch for editor˛ included.
- Reduce digital photograph size
Learn how to reduce the byte size of many pictures using batch conversion
- Organize MP3 playlists
We create music playlists spanning multiple folders using xplorer˛ scrap containers, which can save their contents for later retrieval
- Custom drive icons
When you have a lot of external and mapped network drives you can assign a separate icon to each of them so you can easily tell them apart
- File Paste with a difference
We all know copy/paste but what on earth is structured scrap clips? All will be explained today
- Everything there is to know about drag-drop
Drag-drop is easy but there are many small tricks that can make it even more useful e.g. on-hover springfolders
- Explorer folder autorefresh in administrator mode
Windows explorer does not autorefresh folder changes when you use it in elevated mode. With xplorer˛ you can work around this limitation
- Attach files to emails with ease
A few simple tricks that will save you time and frustration using filenames in online tools like Hotmail
- Vista HTML thumbnail blackout
The story of my unsuccessful attempt to enable HTML document thumbnail previews in windows vista explorer.
- Remote debugging in vista
We resurrect Dr Watson so that it functions in windows vista as it did in XP, providing concise program crash analysis.
- Musical masterpieces
I sift through my music collection and hilight some timeless gems of artistic creativity. Pure class!
- Streetwise online shopping
Can you tell an online gem from an online scam just by looking at the website? Here are a few useful tips to use before you part with your money
- The Windows Registry part II: File classes
A large chunk of the registry is devoted to document types and their programmatic associations, e.g. programs that open image files and provide thumbnail and other shell extensions
- The Windows Registry part I: Introduction
The registry is a big database with all your computer settings, including shell namespace properties. In this first part we examine the registry basics
- London is free! [opinion]
Over here we celebrate the removal of Ken Livingstone from the position of London mayor after his spectacular election defeat
- Automatic translation online
A number of free services like babelfish and google translation help with your online journeys into foreign languages
- Protect or transfer your favorite settings
If you don't want to accidentaly lose all the effort you put customizing xplorer˛, create a registry file with a snapshot of your favorite options and settings.
- Explore and manage files everywhere, not just in your hard disk
xplorer2 offers its extensive arsenal of viewing and managing functionality in all kinds of folders, including ZIP archives, remote FTP and webfolders. Learn the tricks your standalone archive program can't do!
- Folder view settings
In xplorer˛ you control how the contents of each folder are presented, be it in detailed or thumbnail view mode.
- Remote file management with webfolders
View and manage remote files on your website with webDAV, as normal filesystem folders using xplorer˛. You could be leaving FTP to the dustbin!
- Can't undo: apologies for any inconvenience caused
Due to a microsoft lack of foresight, xplorer˛ can't undo most file operations. But all is not lost
- Harness file copy speed
Copying large files full speed is a false economy. See how you can make the transfer slower to improve your overall user experience.
- Weed out rogue shell extensions
Badly written shell extensions (context menu etc) invade and can bring down host processes, especially shell integrated like xplorer˛. Learn how to detect and remove them.
- RunAs made easy
A quick tip to launch programs with elevated credentials with just a single click
- Editor˛ the unsung hero
The editor/viewer accompanying xplorer˛ is nippy and more useful than you would have thought judging by its size.
- Beta build 170.10
A new version of xplorer˛ is in the horizon and experienced users can now test it in advance. Big improvements are skin support, custom toolbar icons and support for vista's symbolic links
- Toolbar skinning competition
If you find xplorer˛ default icons ugly, here's your chance to brighten up the day for everybody!
- Most popular blog articles for 2007
Blogger's digest: if you only read 5 entries from this blog in the whole year, make sure you start with these.
- Export folder contents as text for printing
xplorer˛ does not print directly but can export whatever you see in its panes as text for printing and other uses, not all of them detrimental to worldwide tree stocks :)
- Get a productivity boost with your keyboard
Most things can be done faster by keyboard than mouse and that includes file management. xplorer˛ is an accessibility friendly tool and most keyboard commands can be customized to need or taste.
- Advanced text search in files
xplorer˛ does multiple keyword searches using a different syntax than Google but it is more expressive and precise. Let's learn the boolean tricks.
- A mysterious solution for wireless email
If your MS Outlook is playing up through wifi connections, not sending email, the answer may be port 587
- Limit your exposure with a normal user account
Don't fall victim to viruses and other internet nasties; make it a habit to operate from a limited access user account!
- xplorer˛ winner of Epsilon 2007 award
Cologne, Germany 4 November 2007: xplorer˛ is crowned top European software, thanks to the support of its users. Thanks guys!
- Software marketing and The Google
Your correspondent from Cologne reports on the effectiveness of google adwords for shareware promotion. And the winner is... The Google!
- Folder synchronization part II: Adjusting for Daylight Saving Time
Twice a year the +/-1 hour DST change causes some ripples in file comparisons between NTFS and FAT partitions. xplorer˛ can iron them out for you.
- Folder synchronization part I: Comparing contents
The biggest argument for dual pane file management is comparing folders. We put a few cool xplorer˛ mirror comparison modes to good use
- Color coding file types and other file metadata
If you need more visual cues to organize your files (icons not enough?), look no further than xplorer˛ color coding rules
- Fun with folder junctions
How to ease the weekly backup chores using folder junctions
- Whatever happened to old Greece? [opinion]
Modern Greece was always a glorious has-been, but why is it going from bad to worse? I guess I care enough to get angry with the state of things down there.
- The Twin Towers aftermath [opinion]
On this sad 9/11 occasion, I dig up my tomahawk and go hunting some stoopid politicians scalp. War on terror, what war on terror?
- What is the Epsilon award?
xplorer˛ has been nominated for Epsilon. Unlike other junk awards, ESWC has a democratic voting procedure that ensures the best software gets the title
- Select files and build collections
Beginners tips and tricks for selecting many pictures and other files for CD burning and whatnot
- Time-saving path autocompletion tricks
xplorer˛ addressbar can accept paths in more than one way for your increased productivity
- Easy visual filtering techniques
In large folders it pays to show only files you want to work with. xplorer˛ has many filtering tricks up its sleeve!
- The path of least resistance
The easiest way to access remote files and folders on any network is using UNC paths and the addressbar.
- Folder paths explained [beginners]
What if your mouse breaks down and you can't click on folders? No problemo, we use the keyboard to access folders by name. So last century!
- Make the best of xplorer˛ online support information
xplorer˛ does a lot of things and can get confusing. Here are some tips on how to get answers to support questions quickly and efficiently
- The multi-folder shell context menu riddle [programming]
We reverse engineer CDefFolderMenu_Create2 windows API to show shell context menu for many folders, useful for collections like xplorer˛ scrap containers
- Crackers beware! Free accommodation at US reform centres
This is a rant against the global phenomenon of software piracy affecting a lot of small ISVs like zabkat
- Why on earth do I need folders? [beginners]
We remain in an inquisitive mood and ponder on folders' necessity. We come to the shocking conclusion that their existence is justified — and it isn't just to earn $$ for file management software :)
- What's the answer to life, the universe and Everything?
We don't have all the answers but still try our best to clear up a few of humanity's burning questions :)
- Can I please have an objectively superior file manager?
File manager wars continued; this time we test drive for efficiency in everyday file tasks. Who's the daddy?
- File manager global top ten
What is the world's most popular file manager in terms of website visitors?
- New beta version 1.7
Build 1657 beta goes public with hotkey customization and better windows vista support, check it out!
- Your wish is xplorer˛'s command
A new version is in the horizon and you get a chance to influence which features will be added with this user poll.
- Rename MP3 files using their ID3 tags
When the audio ripper does a half job naming MP3s, xplorer˛ steps in with track-aware mass renaming.
- O2 IQ a really usable mobile smartphone
It's easter time and we're keeping it low key and high tech with my phone reviewed.
- Desktop search text filters
How to search for text within MS Office and PDF documents and preview unformatted text.
- From ASCII to UNICODE text
Why do we need text file encodings and how can you search for text in non-english locales.
- File types and data storage
How does a file manager tell apart pictures from documents and music files?
- Trust me, I'm rich!
What are digital certificates for software and why you shouln't use them as trust substitutes.
- Windows vista explorer
Microsoft Vista in general and its file manager in particular: the good, the bad and the ugly; a laggard's perspective.
- File storage on disk
How much room does it take to store a file on disk? compressed, sparse, hard-linked files and alternate data streams explained.
- File safety part II: using backups
Secure files and folders with backups and general redundancy copies.
- The efficiency bug
[philosophical] The little things we do to make us happy (and a bit more efficient).
- File safety part I: Version control
Use tortoiseSVN with xplorer˛ to manage file versions and revisions.